The Roleplay Zone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Roleplay Zone

For the Roleplayer in everyone since 2009!

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Weekly Community Questin

Go down 

Is rock dead?
Yes
Weekly Community Questin Ajosx33%Weekly Community Questin Fh755
 33% [ 2 ]
No
Weekly Community Questin Ajosx67%Weekly Community Questin Fh755
 67% [ 4 ]
Who cares-I just read this because MM24 is awesome!
Weekly Community Questin Ajosx0%Weekly Community Questin Fh755
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
JZilla
Master of Metal
Master of Metal
JZilla

Weekly Community Questin Empty
PostWeekly Community Questin

Alright, time for your weekly question. Alright, now this week's question is this. Is rock dead? Now I'm not talking about metal:overseas acts keep it going strong. But how about rock?

Rock last year did not have a good year. Now you could make the argument that not many big artists came out with anything, and while that is true, you have to look at who did. Linkin Park released an album in November, and compared to what it was supposed to do, it did horrendously in sales. The Black Keys didn't sell very well, Kings of Leon did poorly, I could keep going on. The Mumford and Sons album sold around a million copies though. But that's it. That's virtually the only one.

Now my opinion on this is no. See, I believe music works in a cycle. Starting with 1980 here. Metal was getting hot around this time, rock was very prevalent also, rap was extremely underground. Then, in the 90's, metal lost its top spot to rock. Metal was still very popular thanks to acts like Pantera, but it wasnt #1. Rap was also becoming less underground. Then in the late 90's, early 00's, rap/pop takes over, rock becomes 2nd, metal becomes more underground, techno starts getting a little heat. Then, we have another change, which is where we are now. Rap and pop split. Pop becomes #1, rap#2, and then the biggie, which I'll get too in aminute, techno #3, rock is less mainstream, metal is getting a lot of attention and a solid fanbase, but its not mainstream...yet.

Alright, now I believe we are about to make another transition here. I think techno is going to replace pop, because, lets face it, pop is starting to sounnd like techno thanks to act like Kesha. Then, I think when that phase is over, metal takes back #1, rock comes back, and the cycle starts over. So no, I dont think rock is dead.

MM24
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheAutumnDescent
Share this post on: reddit

Weekly Community Questin :: Comments

Xaria
Re: Weekly Community Questin
Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:29 am by Xaria
For pop, we still have Michael Jackson obviously.

And I'm not sure about rock.
JZilla
Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:32 am by JZilla
Yeah. But there wont be any new material from him to keep it afloat.
Xaria
Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:33 am by Xaria
You never listened to his new album Michael.

*Hums Breaking News*
JZilla
Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:36 am by JZilla
Ah. But what happens when they run out of all that extra stuff he recorded?
Caseroos
Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:37 am by Caseroos
I listen ti Linkn Park alot. I guess cause some of their song are like 4 years old they arent played as much, but still if you listen to a counsler at my camp he carries around a speaker all day which is blasting rock music so i guess rock isnt dead.
Xaria
Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:38 am by Xaria
Need proof more unreleased MJ music will come out.

I NEED PROOF!
JZilla
Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:44 am by JZilla
Caseroos, Linkin Park is still pretty popular. Their newest album didn't sell well because it sucked. They still get alot of radio play.

Xaria, more will come out, but eventually they'll run out of it. You can't get more songs from a dead man, now can you?
Xaria
Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:49 am by Xaria
He recorded tons of music, his voise is the same, and I'm listening to Monster with 50 Cent. And you can't, unless he has unreleased material.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unreleased_Michael_Jackson_material
Shadow Kitten
Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:48 am by Shadow Kitten
But we'll run out, like Metalman said.

I don't think Rock is dying. Its fan base is HUGE over here. :3
You know whats dying?

Instrumental/Classical music. ;c
Makkine
Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:51 am by Makkine
FINALLY. A WEEKLY COMMUNITY QUESTION I ACTUALLY GET.

As for this, no, I believe rock is not dead, per se. It has simply become less popular for a while, but like you said, it is also on the brink of re-discovery.

@Sis: That's already dead. A pity, isn't it? D:
Shadow Kitten
Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:59 am by Shadow Kitten
Makkine wrote:
FINALLY. A WEEKLY COMMUNITY QUESTION I ACTUALLY GET.

As for this, no, I believe rock is not dead, per se. It has simply become less popular for a while, but like you said, it is also on the brink of re-discovery.

@Sis: That's already dead. A pity, isn't it? D:

CLASSICAL-LIKE MUSIC YOU
awkwardlyAwesome
Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:00 pm by awkwardlyAwesome
ROCK. ISN'T. DEAD. In order to keep it thriving, maybe those of us who are musicians of some sort should bring it up to the top again! All you hear nowadays is Autotuned voices and people talking with music in the background! We can change that, though. The rock bands are starting to get old, and we need some new ones. Then there are the ones that are turning into Pop (such as Linkin Park ><") due to their record company. So we DEFINITELY need more indie bands out there.
2Xemnas2
Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:19 pm by 2Xemnas2
Y'know Metalman, I think rock really is dead. Notice how almost every music subject I talk about is old rock music. They have really ruined rock, I mean seriously. I know people who are more talented than linkin park in one building. Plus their turning techno too, I mean did you hear the catalyst Weekly Community Questin Vomiting-2075, Rock without a question is dead and thats why I dwell on the past
JZilla
Post Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:54 am by JZilla
Chris, I don't think it's fair to say Linkin Park isn't talented. I don't like what they're doing musically, but theres no doubt that they know what they're doing.
2Xemnas2
Post Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:30 am by 2Xemnas2
Metalman24 wrote:
Chris, I don't think it's fair to say Linkin Park isn't talented. I don't like what they're doing musically, but theres no doubt that they know what they're doing.

technically I never said they were not talented, I said I knew people more talented then them. But Linkin Park stretches to too many genres so they really can't defend rock. Their like the madonna of rock eew. Well since who else is a rock artist.
Post  by Sponsored content

Weekly Community Questin

Page 1 of 1